What are Conventional Loans and Conforming Loans?
By definition, a Conventional Loan is any mortgage that’s not guaranteed or insured by the federal government. Hawaii conventional loans may be either “conforming” and “non-conforming”, although ‘conventional loans’ generally refer to ‘conforming loans’. Therefore Hawaii conventional loan limits are the same thing as Hawaii conforming loan limits.
Hawaii Conventional Loan Limits
What is the maximum amount that I can borrow?
Conventional loan limits in Hawaii are determined by:
- Maximum LTV Ratio: The maximum financing loan-to-value ratio for conventional mortgages is 80% – 97% of the appraised value of the home or its selling price, whichever is lower. Learn how to calculate loan-to-value.
- Maximum Loan Amount: Conventional loan limits in Hawaii are set at elevated levels across the entire state. Metro areas in HI with the highest conforming limits are located in the Honolulu metropolitan area on Oahu.
Search all Conventional Loan Limits in Hawaii:
|HONOLULU||URBAN HONOLULU, HI||$765,600||$980,325||$1,184,925||$1,472,550|
Hawaii conforming limits can change anytime. Check back often to ensure accuracy.
What factors determine if i’m eligible for a Conventional Loan in Hawaii?
Conventional conforming loans follow the terms and conditions set forth by government sponsored enterprises (GSE’s) like Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. To be eligible for a Conforming Loan in Hawaii, your monthly housing costs (mortgage principal and interest, property taxes, and insurance) must meet a specified percentage of your gross monthly income. Your credit background will be considered. A FICO credit score of 620 or above is generally required to obtain a conventional loan approval. You must also have enough income to pay your housing costs plus all additional monthly debt.
How much money will I need for the down payment and closing costs?
Conventional home loans require the home buyer to invest between 3% and 20% of the sales price towards the down payment and closing costs. If the sales price is $100,000 for example, the mortgage applicant must invest at least $3,000 – $20,000 to meet conventional mortgage down payment requirements, depending on the program.
Minimum Hawaii Conventional Loan Down Payment:
|Residence Usage||Fixed-Rate Mortgage (FRM)||Adjustable-Rate Mortgage (ARM)|
|1 Unit Primary||3% Down Payment||10% Down Payment|
|2 Units Primary||15% Down Payment||25% Down Payment|
|3 Units Primary||25% Down Payment||35% Down Payment|
|4 Units Primary||25% Down Payment||35% Down Payment|
|1 Unit Second Home||10% Down Payment||20% Down Payment|
|1 Unit Investment||15% Down Payment||25% Down Payment|
|2 Units Investment||25% Down Payment||35% Down Payment|
|3 Units Investment||25% Down Payment||35% Down Payment|
|4 Units Investment||25% Down Payment||35% Down Payment|
What property types are allowed for Conventional Conforming Mortgages?
Conventional mortgage guidelines allow you to purchase
warrantable condos, planned unit developments, modular homes, manufactured homes, and 1-4 family residences. Conventional loans can be used to finance primary residences, second homes and investment property.
Learn more about conventional mortgages.
What types of mortgage and refinance programs do Conventional Loans offer in Hawaii?
There are several varieties of standard home purchase, first-time home buyer and conventional refinance loans available in Hawaii:
- Conventional Purchase Loans – Conventional loans offer a variety of programs for applicants with good credit ratings to buy a home. Both 3% down mortgage and 5% down mortgage options are available, however 20% down is the minimum amount required to avoid private mortgage insurance.
- Conventional Rate/Term Refinance: Conventional Rate/Term refinancing loans are for borrowers who currently have an FHA, VA, USDA or conventional fixed rate mortgage or ARM loan and wish to refinance into a conventional mortgage with a lower interest rate. If you’re a homeowners considering a stable, conventional fixed-rate mortgage, this program may also eliminate your mortgage insurance if you have at 20% equity in your home. If not, Conventional 97% loan programs may also work for you.
- Cash-Out Refinance: A Conventional Cash Out Refinance is perfect for the homeowner who wants to access the equity that they have built up in their home. This program is beneficial to homeowners whose property has increased in value since it was purchased.
What factors determine if I am eligible for a Conventional Refinance Loan?
To meet conventional refinance mortgage requirements in Hawaii, your monthly housing costs (mortgage principal and interest, property taxes, and insurance) must meet a specified percentage of your gross monthly income. Your credit background will be considered. You must be able to cover closing costs and have enough income to pay your monthly debt.
More Alabama Mortgage Limits
- FHA Loan Limits in Hawaii
- Hawaii Conforming Loan Limits
- VA Loan Limits in Hawaii
- USDA Loan Limits in Hawaii
- USDA Loan Income Limits in Hawaii
You may also want to visit these additional home loan resources before deciding on a mortgage program:
- Nationwide Conforming Loan Limits
- Calculate Your Conforming Loan Payment
- Check Current Conforming Loan Rates
- Conforming Loan Requirements
- FHA Loan Requirements
- Conventional Loan Programs
- Home Loan Comparison
- Mortgage Questions
- Calculate Debt-to-Income Ratio
- FHA Loan Limits
- USDA Loan Limits
- VA Loan Limits
- Conventional Loan Down Payment
- Down Payment Assistance Programs
- PMI Insurance – What is PMI?